Since being elected in October 2023 as Durham District School Board Trustee for the City of Oshawa I have brought forward successful motions to the Board of Trustees, supported motions brought forward by other Trustees and worked with Board staff to:
I am semi-retired and work for myself consulting with various organizations, assisting them in building their community and social engagement. Over the years I have held various jobs including 15 years at the Toronto District School Board and for the past 20 years working as a labour and community organizer.
I have two adult children who graduated from the DDSB, one of which had special education needs, and I currently have three grand children who attend DDSB schools. With my recent retirement I now feel I have the time available that the responsibility of school board trustee requires.
My various relationships with the public school system, as an employee, as a labour leader and as a parent & grandparent, provides me with a firsthand understanding that school boards must meet the requirements and demands of varied and diverse communities. With my experience as an organizer, I bring the skills required to work with the various communities and harness the power of consensus to create a shared vision and shared direction.
I am a long-time supporter of all school board staff, that means support workers and teachers, and I know and value the dedication they bring to their jobs and to the students. Ensuring that schools are places where students and their families, teachers and support staff are recognized and feel safe and supported, is essential to the success of every student.
As the parent of a child with special education needs, I also know firsthand how challenging it can be at times to ensure the best possible outcome for our children and, in advocating for my children, I have had to seek out the assistance of Trustees and School Superintendents.
I bring a balanced perspective to the role of Trustee along with the desire, dedication and the ability to work together with parents, students, staff and our communities to ensure a public school system that is inclusive and ensures the best outcome for all our children and grandchildren.
1. Advocate for policies that protect your child’s right to a safe, successful learning experience.
2. Promote opportunities for consultation with marginalized groups, to ensure that the policies put forward are reflective of the unique needs and supports required, so all students are given the opportunity to succeed.
3. Ensure all policies related to the safety of students, staff and the community meet current needs and that they are upheld and enforced to ensure the safety of everyone in our school communities.
4. Advocate for increases to support for Special Education students.
5. Promote opportunities for historically excluded students.
6.Provide notice of upcoming issues that are important to parents, students and the community on my website and social media.
7. Provide results of public votes on my website and work with other Trustees to reduce the number of ‘in camera’ sessions.
8. Be accessible by phone and email.
9. Be available to parents for support in navigating the school board system.
Check out this great video